October 15, 2008

Alma chapter 9


REMEMBER. That's kind of the theme of this chapter. Alma is calling the people to repentance. Remember the commandments of God. Remember the blessings you have witnessed in your life and in the lives of your family.

There is one verse that stuck out in this chapter. In vs 13 Alma quotes the Lord speaking to Lehi: "...Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper in the land..." I always thought of prosperity as doing well or having all of your needs met and then some and being able to continue on. I looked up the definition of prosper just to see and one definition I found said, "to grow stronger." I like that definition. I think both are correct but the latter has more of a spiritual twist on it. So, I guess the scripture could say, "Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall grow stronger." I was thinking that it's interesting for me-- when I'm not particularly happy or when I am struggling with a trial or whatever, those are the times I'm less likely to be excited about doing the things I ought to-- prayer, scripture study, temple attendance, or even going to church. But, it is in those times of trial that keeping the commandments or doing what I ought to would give me strength or grow stronger.

I just thought of Mom taking us all to church the very next day after Dad died. Holy crap! If there there ever was an excuse to skip church! And then soon after, she was called to be the YW President. "...Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper in the land..." Talk about needing strength!

1 comment:

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Girlfriend! how are you? I haven't talked to in ages. I need a run down!