May 22, 2010

I saw this on the news one morning last week:



Later that morning, Maren asked to go for a walk, so we went-- out the back door, down the hill on the side of the house and onto Hammonton Road. 30 seconds into our walk, I looked up and noticed a small dog in the middle of the road about 50 yards from us. I watched it for a second, hoping Maren wouldn't notice it because she has a MAJOR dog phobia.

As I got a better look, I realized it wasn't a small dog, but a fox. Just as I realized what it was, he saw us. We stared at each other for a minute and then it took a step towards us. I had a flashback to the video I saw earlier on the news and then one to that scene in To Kill a Mockingbird where Jem came across that rabid dog and Atticus had to go out and shoot it. The last thing I needed was to be attacked by a rabid fox!

I panicked-- I swore out loud, scooped Maren up and then booked it up the street. (Maren immediately covered her ears. Certain words elicit that response from her.) At the same time the fox crouched down in his "holy crap" stance, then bolted into the neighbor's yard and into the trees. We both scared the crap out of each other.

I don't know how I survived those months on the cattle ranch in White Signal, NM (aka BFE)!

1 comment:

Maren Hansen said...

i can just picture it... :)