April 28, 2011

Bye, Bye, Binky!

Because of these:


We decided it was time to dispose of these:

Saying goodbye to binkies is hard. Maren's coming up on four years this summer, so it was do or die time. Mary taught me this one: I started talking to Maren like a month ago about collecting all of her binkies and taking them to Wal-Mart to buy a Mickey Mouse. Seriously, everyday for a month. Finally, one Saturday, I mustered up the courage to actually do it. I let her have one final suck...

...and then threw that binky in the ziplock bag with the others and we were off. Maren picked out her Mickey Mouse, we went to the check out and the nice lady behind the register made the exchange. Here she is with her beloved Mickey:

Of course she asked for her binky that afternoon when she laid down to take a nap. She didn't like it, but I was surprised how quickly she went to sleep. She has now been binky free for just about 2 weeks. Yay!

5 comments:

Vicky said...

Hooray! Isaac has the same overbite. But he's a thumb-sucker. I'm not sure how we'll get him to stop since we can't take his thumb away from him.

Amy B. said...

Yipee...it makes me smile to see that my little peanut is growing up. She is truly a happy and beautiful girl!

Brieann Dillingham said...

She is so cute! Good for you on getting rid of her binky! It took Rachel awhile to let go of hers, but when she did she saw Jarrett sucking his thumb and changed over to that instead. She's stopped now, but her teeth are sure paying the price for it!

Josh, Sandy, Jaclyn, Kinsey, and Caleb said...

Letting go of the binky is hard but I'm glad she's adjusting well!!! Way to go Maren! :)

Holly said...

Great job getting rid of the pacifier! Maybe Maren can convince Elie to give up hers one of these days (I'd hate for all the other kids at college to make fun of Elie for still using one...).

:0)