September 28, 2008

"Falling" Squirrels


Henry and I went to church on our own today. Randy was sick and he won the booby prize of keeping Maren with him. We parked in the lower parking lot next to the stake offices. Those of you familiar with the Silver Spring, MD Stake Center should be able to picture the gigantic Oak Tree that sits at the corner of the small lawn just outside the doorway. Anyhow, we're walking into church when from pretty close behind me I hear this pretty loud "THUD." It sounded like a wet sponge hitting the pavement. Startled, I turned around and there was this black squirrel kind of laying there. I thought it was dead for sure. That thing had to have dropped at least 50 feet! But, about two seconds later, it jumped to it's little feet, shook his head a couple of times and ran towards the neighbor's yard. And then a car ran over it. Okay, that last part isn't true. But crazy, huh?

Henry and I talked about it all the way to the chapel and then it was kind of forgotten-- or so I thought. After church we were walking down the hall to get to the car and Henry spaz-ed out and yelled, "Oh no! I forgot to tell my teacher something!" Ughh. I really wanted to go and apparently his teachers did to. They had their 3 kids in tow and were making a major bee-line for the door. I told Henry it could wait until next week. Henry started to cry. Whatever. He wins. We walked really fast and finally caught up to the desparately home-bound family as they were putting the car into drive. I tapped on the driver's window. The teacher had a look on his face that seemed to say, "this better be good." I apologized and told Brother what's his name that Henry really needed to tell him something. I turned the time over to Henry who stuttered for moment and then said, "The squirrel fell down. Tree." The guy looked at both of us like we were retarded. Wow. Good job, Henry. Well, I guess it was a pretty good story.

3 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I always love hearing Henry stories. That kid is a total crack up.

*~Petra~* said...

Don't you just love kids? Do you know how many times I have held my breath when my kids open their mouths to speak? LOL.

MaryBeth said...

You've been tagged!

www.myveryownlifetimemovie.blogspot.com