October 11, 2008

Alma, chapter 5


Randy gave me a blessing yesterday before leaving for a 2 week trip to NM. In the blessing I was encouraged to read the book of Alma contained in the Book of Mormon. I was also advised to write down my thoughts as I did so. I'm going to use my blog to do this. I've decided to upload a picture of the temple with these spiritually-based entries. My intention is that the picture will serve as a red flag for those who could not care less about my thoughts on the scripture or how they help me with my personal life. With that said, here is what I have gained by reading Alma chapter 5:

I will preface this by saying that Maren's health has been a great challenge for me since learning of her condition. The hospital was obviously stressful, but I would say the greater challenge for me has been tyring to enjoy the present-- the great blessing of life that Maren has been given-- and not letting my fear of what the future holds for our daughter overshadow that miracle.

In Alma chapter 5 Alma is speaking to the people of Zarahemla. Vs. 6 Alma tells the people they need to remember the great blessing the Lord has granted to them and their previous generations. Our family has received many GREAT blessings.

In vs 11 and 12 Alma goes on to talk about his father, Alma, and the great change that took place in his heart while listening to Abinadi. Faith yields a mighty change in one's heart. If I want my heart to change I need to have faith. Faith in what?

Vs 15-- "Do ye exercise faith in the redemption of him who created you..." I need to have faith in the redemption of Jesus Christ. How do I exercise faith in Jesus Christ?

vs- 21 by keeping the commandments of God and repenting.
vs- 13 humble yourself, trust God, be faithful to the end

I long for that change of heart. I want to get to a point where I'm not always worried about what our future holds. I want to be able to enjoy what we have now-- all of us here happily together. I know that following Alma's counsel will not change what is going on in my life. However, I am confident that following Alma's counsel and the counsel of our latter-day prophets will bring that change of heart that I long for-- peace of mind. My goals are to be more consistent with earnest prayer, meaningful scripture study and regular temple attendance.

No comments: