December 1, 2008

Wanting to Grow Up

My little guy is growing up. Don't get me wrong, most days the idea of sending my kids to school 5 days a week makes me really excited. And college-- oh yeah, baby! But the other day Henry said something that made me really want to hold on to the present forever. I was getting Maren out of her car seat and Henry came up behind me and said, "Mommy?" Then quickly correcting himself he said, "I mean Mom." I couldn't believe it. Little Henry is ready to drop "Mommy" and move on to "Mom." I know I'm a freak, but it made me sad. But, what he said a few days later made up for it--

I sent Randy out on Black Friday to pick up a rocking chair that was half price at Babies R Us. (I LOVE IT, by the way!) We were all still asleep when he got home so Randy brought it in and left it in the middle of the living room floor. Soon Henry woke up and ran into our room. He was very excited to tell me about the big box in the living room, even though he had no idea what it was. I told him it was a rocking chair. He asked, "What's a rocking chair?" (I know, kinda weird that the boy doesn't know what a rocking chair is, but it's not my fault. Henry was always such a wiggly baby he would never sit still long enough for me to rock him. I tried, I swear!) I told Henry it was a special chair that I could sit and rock Maren in when she was sick. Almost immediately Henry replied with his best stuffy nose voice, "Well, Mom, I still have my cold, see?" He totally made my day! That night I rocked my 70-pound 5-yr-old in my new rocking chair and loved every one of those 15 seconds. (Henry can sit still for about the same amount of time today as he did when he was a baby!)

3 comments:

Josh, Sandy, Jaclyn, Kinsey, and Caleb said...

What an incredibly sweet boy! At least you got those 15 seconds to sit and rock your "baby"....those are always precious times! Enjoy your chair!!! :)

A. Schoonie said...

those are the sweetest moments! henry sounds adorable!
ashlie

*~Petra~* said...

Aw what a sweetie! Little Mike still comes and sits on me saying... "Mom, I want a hug". ALL 125 pounds of him... but I wouldn't have it any other way. :)