June 22, 2010

Change

Randy and I always joke that our kids got a combination of our worst traits. I am a worrier. I always have been-- especially when it comes to change. That trait must be hereditary because I sometimes think Henry's worse than me!

Henry's last day of school was Wednesday. When Maren and I arrived to pick him up, I could already see the tears welling up in his eyes. He kept it together until he was safely behind the car's tinted windows and then cried out, "Mom, I already miss it!" The flood gates were opened. Poor guy! He almost had me in tears!

Later that night when I was kissing him goodnight he asked, "Mom, am I going to live with you forever?" When I told him he'd leave when he was ready for college and a mission, the tears started all over again. I told him when he was old enough to start thinking about college and a mission, he wouldn't want to live with us. That didn't help at all. I told him not to worry-- afterall, I was 31 and I lived with my mom! That didn't help much either. Finally I resorted to lying: "Henry, I'll go to college with you. Dad will go with you on your mission if you want." No more tears. Henry rolled over and slept through the night.

Occasionally I find myself dreaming of the day all the kids are grown and gone from the house. But when I really sit back and think about it, I know it's gonna be me, not Henry, who's crying like a baby.

2 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Poor Henry. I hate change too. Hell, I can't even deal when you come and hang out for 48 hours and then leave me.

Josh, Sandy, Jaclyn, Kinsey, and Caleb said...

Amen! I was thinking about preschool the other day for Jaclyn and got all teary. Change is hard!